The most common engagement we have is a client who works with us to remodel their home. Whether this is adding an addition, remodeling existing spaces, adding a bathroom, etc. This is where our experience and training in interior architecture pays off. We can handle any and all kitchen designs, bathroom design, architectural drawings and permit set creation. Depending on the project, we bring in partners, be they architects, engineers or landscape architects, to provide our clients with whatever is need in the project planning phases. Likewise, we also work with a host of fantastic builders, contractors and tradespeople who we bring to each project.
To accomplish each project on-time and on-budget, while accomplishing our clients goals, we follow the follwoing process:
PRe-Project: Initial consultation (aka the first date)
- For this initial consultation we charge a flat $375 for which we offer the following:
- Up to 90-minutes of meeting at your space or on the phone to discuss your project
- A detailed scope of work which will describe all facets of the project making sure we've captured all of your goals for the project
- A cost estimate for all design services needed to accomplish all of the work laid out in the scope of work
- For furnishings projects: a line-item budget for all items to be purchased for approval by the client. This budget is offered with a budget-range for each piece to make sure we're aligned with the clients overall budget expectations
PHASE I: Programming (aka the Get to Know You Phase)
- We meet and learn about your dreams for the project, your budget, timeline, family living needs, personal style, and more.
- We take photos and measurements of your home and review architectural drawings and contractor estimates.
- We share back-and-forth images, Pinterest-pins, sketches, and inspiration boards to start honing in on your design goals.
PHASE II: Conceptual Design (aka the What Are We Trying to Achieve Phase)
- We sketch layouts, generate floor plans, and 3D views in a 3D modeling program, aiming to create the perfect remodel solution for your needs.
- We add color, fabrics, finish materials, and lighting schematics, then refine these ideas with you until we arrive at the perfect solution.
- Finally, we create a full-color rendering of the finalized design so you can see exactly how it will look.
PHASE III: Design Development (aka the Pick the Exact Items Phase)
- We source all materials such as tile, counter tops, plumbing fixtures, and decorative lighting fixtures.
- We select all colors and finishes from paint colors, wood stains, metal finishes on fixtures and lighting.
- We obtain pricing, stock information, and samples.
- We visit showrooms and communicate with sales reps.
- We share our design direction with the project architect (if one is involved in the project) or contractor, get feedback, and make changes as needed.
- Once selections are approved by you, we work with the contractor to make sure all orders are placed on on your behalf.
- We coordinate delivery, storage, and installation.
PHASE IV: document Management (aka the technical drawing Phase)
- We create detailed document sets for the contractor so that items like cabinetry, custom built-ins custom furniture, tile layouts and lighting can be bid on and built precisely to plan.
- We work with the project architect, if one is involved on the project, to maximize the drawings/plans they've already produced. We can add details to their original documents when required. Or add views, elevations, etc, they might not have produced.
- We create, when required, drawings for permit packages
PHASE V: PROJECT MANAGEMENT (AKA THE GET IT DONE PHASE)
- Once all the bulk of our work is done, designs are complete, drawings are finished and handed off, we stay with the project through the build-phase.
- We meet with the full construction team on site each week to make sure everything is tracking to plan.
- Plus we conduct frequent site visits and are on-call (and text and email) for contractors, carpenters, electricians, et al, who frequently call with questions and/or to update us with issues they've run into so we can troubleshoot together.
Ultimately our mission during this phase is three-fold:
- Make sure everything is built and/or installed the way it was designed.
- Though we certainly wish construction was always a flawless process, remodeling involves tearing-down and exposing what's behind the existing walls/ceilings/floors/foundations/etc, and issues almost always arise and adjustments have to be made. Our job is not to expect perfection, but rather join forces with skilled project managers, builders and artisans so we can, as a team, understand the issues as they arise, make informed decisions on how to adjust, keep you, the client, up to speed and keep the project tracking towards competition on-time and on-budget.
- And fundamentally, because the construction process can be stressful at times, we’re on call for you throughout to answer your questions and assist in any way possible.